Tuesday, November 15, 2011

One month old!



Blakely was one month old on Sunday November 13!  We celebrated by going to breakfast and then we went for a stroll in the park.  It was nice weather yesterday (a little on the warm side actually) so we had a great time.  Today we went for her one month check up and she is doing great!  She weighs in at 9 pounds 10 ounces and she is 21 inches long.  

I took her to the doctor by myself today for the first time.  It went well :)  When the nurse put her on the scale she felt like she was falling so she started doing this awful yell and had her legs and arms sticking straight out.  It wasn't even a cry it was a yell.  I felt so bad for her and wanted to pick her up right then and there.  That pretty much freaked little B out for a good five minutes.  The nurse left  the rom and I was left with a naked freaked out baby.  I finally got her calmed down and we had to wait for an hour.  I don't get upset when I have to wait at the doctor.  I totally understand they get behind and it is not their fault.  They don't want to be behind just as much as we don't want to sit there and wait.  So I never complain about this.  Seriously, one time at the fertility doctor I waited 2 1/2 hours with no pants on....

Anyway, Dr. W came in and checked her out and she is doing great.  She is above the 50th percentile in all categories.  I was so happy with her weight gain.  It just makes me feel good to know that she is gaining weight even though she was spitting up quite a bit for a while.  She has been doing better with that recently though.  

After he checked her out she had to get the second dose of her Hepatitis B vaccine.  I was not prepared for this.  I now know why they wait until the end of the appointment to do this.  Blakely was sound asleep when the nurse jabbed her with that needle.  Her eyes flew open so wide and her mouth did too.  She let out this huge wail and momma nearly lost it.  I was expecting her to cry but just seeing that look on her face...OMG...  I told Lonnie that he MUST come with me to her next appointment because I know she gets more shots then and I need some support to see that again!  

Here are some things that I want to remember about Blakely at one month
  • She is a pretty easy baby so far.  She has her moments if she is sleepy or hungry but, in general, she is easy to figure out.  She only cries when she is hungry or in the evenings when she has her "fussy time". 
  • She is eating every 2 1/2 to 3 hours during the day.  In the evening she will have one period where she will eat after just 2 hours.  This is normally during the fussy time...around 7-9 or so.  During the night it can vary.  Some nights she wakes me up after three hours, some nights she will go four.  A couple of times she has gone 5 and last night she slept from 1230 to 630!  It was awesome!  My boobs felt like they were going to explode when I woke up but I was so refreshed :)
  • We gave her her first bottle on Friday 11-11.  Lonnie gave it to her and she did well with it.  She has gotten one a day since then...always from daddy.  

  • Speaking of daddy...she LOVES him.  She is so going to be a daddy's girl.  She can just listen to him talk and be so content.  Her favorite thing to do is to listen to daddy sing.  She just looks at him mesmerized.  It is so adorable.  She can be crying crying crying in the evening and I can't seem to soothe her and just a few words from daddy and she is calm.  He sings anything and everything to her but I think her favorite is Bobby McGee by Janis Joplin. 
singing with daddy :)

staring at daddy while he sings...


  • She wears a size 1 diaper.  She wore a newborn size for only about 2 weeks.  We had a few blow outs and they seemed pretty tight so we moved up.  
  • She is just starting to outgrow her newborn clothes.  Some of the 0-3 month clothes fit and others are just totally huge.  I don't understand why there is such a difference in the brands?!?!?  She is starting to enjoy changing clothes more now.  She HATED it at first. 
  • She has awesome head control.  She can lift it up and look around for quite a while.  She really likes to do this after she eats.
  • She has a birthmark on the crown of her head...also called a stork bite.  You can't even see it and I actually didn't even know it was there until Dr. W pointed it out.  
  • She loves looking at any type of light....the lamp and the window are her favorite. 
  • She still has all of her hair so far.
  • Her eyes are a very dark blue....almost a navy blue...you can't really tell where her pupil is unless you look really close
  • She likes to take naps in her swing.  Sometimes I don't even turn the swing on just the vibrating seat and she will sleep well.  She doesn't nap very well in the pack n play for some reason.  Her favorite place to nap is in someone's arms...we are happy to oblige her :)



  • She sleeps in her crib at night.  We moved her to the crib on Sunday Nov. 6, she was 3 weeks old.  This is working out so much better for many reasons.  We were all sleeping in our bedroom and she was sleeping in the pack n play.  It was killing my back to nurse her in the bed..no matter how many pillows I used.  Daddy was getting no sleep and always ended up on the couch.  So Blakely and I moved down to her room.  I sleep in the queen bed in her room and she sleeps so good in the crib!  I get to nurse her in the glider which is so.much.better!  Daddy gets more sleep so he can go to work all day too. It is working out for us right now.  We don't plan on doing this for a whole lot longer mostly because we miss each other!!!  When I am ready to leave her in her room by herself we will move into the master bedroom that is right next to her room.  I am getting there :)
  • We don't really have a set schedule although she is pretty consistent each day.  She sleeps so well in her crib and she only sleeps there at night.  I am afraid to have her nap in the crib because as of right now it is like she knows that if she is in the crib then it is nighttime.  She hasn't stayed up after a middle of the night feeding in over a week.  I worry that if she naps in the crib too then she will get confused.  
  • She sleeps swaddled in the miracle blanket.  Well sort of swaddled.  She LOVES her hands and will not tolerate it if she can't get to them.  So I use the blanket but leave her arms free.  This seems to be working.  
gotta have the hands by her face!

  • My girl is a grunter...she grunts all the time.  This is how she wakes me up when she is ready to eat.  
  • She wants to suck her thumb really bad.  Occasionally she will get it in her mouth and she is so happy.  Then she moves it and she gets very upset.  I have given her a passy a few times and she will use it for a bit but not always.  As soon as she figures it out I know she will be a thumb sucker
  • She always smiles when she is falling asleep.  I have gotten some pretty cute pictures of this...

 This one came with giggles :)


Here are some shots from our little one month photo shoot

she wasn't so sure about soft bear at first...


 now she is tolerating him...


 and now they are buddies!




By the way, I have been trying to get this post published since Sunday.  Every time I sit down to do it she needs me.  It is like she doesn't want me to write it!  Right now she is napping in my lap listening to the lullaby station on Pandora....which is AWESOME!!!


5 comments:

  1. love this post!!! So glad she gave you time to finally post it ;) How precious is she when sleeping on both you and her daddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally going to Pandora after I write this. B is so darn cute I LOVE all the pictures! I'm glad you are doing so well, I wish I had a bed in her nursery so I could move her to her crib!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many memories already and she's only been here a month! You are one tough mom for sticking out the shots alone! I had to leave the room when Chloe got hers. Love all the pictures!

    ReplyDelete