I really love Christmas! I think I love it so much because I love tradition. And not just Christmas tradition but any tradition in general.
I really want to start some fun traditions with Blakely this year. I know that she has no clue what is going on but we will have pictures!!
I want to start her a Christmas tree for her room with a theme. Then I can buy her an ornament each year for her tree. I can't seem to decide on one but I guess it isn't so important this year because her first ornament is going to be a baby's first Christmas ornament. I think I am going to get her a pink tree or a white tree with pink ribbon it. I could just do pink and green ornaments to match her room. I thought about doing cupcake ornaments but I think they will probably be too hard to find. Then I thought maybe just a candy theme but keep the ornaments pink and green. That might be too hard too? I want other people to be able to buy her ornaments too, if they want, so I don't want it to be impossible to find them! Any ideas??
Lonnie and I get each other an ornament each Christmas. We started this in 2006 so we now have 10 ornaments not counting this year. I try to get one that reflects something that we did that year. For example, the year that we went to NYC for Christmas I got a frame ornament with our picture in Rockefeller Center. He got me an ornament that says "First Christmas in our new home" then year we bought our house.
Another tradition that I am going to start with her is opening a present on Christmas Eve. This present will be Christmas pajamas and she will wear them that night. My mom did this with me and my brother and it was so very fun! Now my Grand usually gets us all some jammies to wear!
When I was little one of my favorite things about Christmas was our stockings. My mom went ALL OUT on our stockings. They were huge and overflowing with stuff. I always loved sticking my hand way down in it and pulling out all the goodies. My mom is going to continue this tradition with B. Also, Santa always got us a new game (or three!) and he still does. After we open presents Christmas morning with my mom, we play games all afternoon. I love this...I am such a sucker for board games, card games, any game really!
I know when she is older we will start other traditions with her, ya know, when she can actually remember! I just think tradition is so important. Those are the things that I remember from when I was little and it still makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside when I think about it. I think the elf on a shelf is so cute. I love seeing all the pictures on Facebook every morning of what their elf has been up to :) People are so creative with it!
Lonnie is off the week before Christmas and we are gong to do a few fun Christmas things then. One night we are going to take her out driving around to look at all the great lights. Of course, she will fall instantly asleep when we get in the car so that is really for me ;) There is also a place called Garvan Gardens here and they do a HUGE Christmas lights display. We are going to take her there one night in the stroller and walk around and see the lights. I'm going to try to have her awake for that because I just know she will love it.
Since, I love Christmas so much you would think that my husband does too. Well not so much. He is a total ScroogeGrinch! I mean he really doesn't like it. It drives me BONKERS.... I think having Blakely will change this for him but not this year. Although, it was his idea to take her to see Christmas light...so maybe??
What is your favorite holiday tradition from when you were little? Or what traditions are you going to start with your little ones?
We have Elf on a Shelf & my daughter loves it! This year I am starting the tradition that on Christmas Eve morning (when she get's up all excited to find the elf) he will have broght her a presant to open (Christmas pj's). We will have the Elf do this every year from now on. Even my husband, who also doesn't get into Christmas, thought this was a great idea. B should have a Elf!
ReplyDeleteMy daughter has a pink tree in her room and the theme is gingerbread. She has cookies & boy/girls. It's so cute. I am going to do a sports themed tree in my son's room next year.
Can you tell I just love Christmas too???
I love Christmas and traditions too!
ReplyDeleteWe are doing the pj thing too! I love that idea!
We are doing the ornament too! It is a handprint baby's first christmas!
Santa, cutting down her tree, and spending the night at granmpa and grandma's house on christmas eve are our traditions! I like the tree idea too though!
I really want to get the elf on a shelf but Emily will really have no clue what that is, lol. Stockings were always my favorite part of Christmas (they still are)!
ReplyDeleteI want to start a Christmas tree in her room as well, and do the Christmas jammies. We never did that growing up, but I have friends that did and even as adults they remember enjoying it. We go to the plaza in KC every year and watch them turn on the Christmas lights. You have a wonderful list of traditions!!
ReplyDeleteWe've been talking about new traditions to start with our little ones...isn't it too exciting!?!
ReplyDeleteMy parents made a big deal out of stockings as well. I remember I would wake my little brother and sister up early in the morning and go into the living room and dump them out and go through them. We also would take another family with us and go "Christmas Lighting." It was SO fun to look at all the lights and decorations!
ReplyDeleteA Christmas tradition I started with Ella this year is a childrens book advent. I wrapped up 25 Christmas, nativity, winter themed books and she gets to pick one to open each night through Christmas Eve. We also opened a pair of Christmas jammies every Christmas eve so that night she'll get 2 gifts to open. =) So far she LOVES this idea, and every time a story mentions Santa she says "Thank you santa, coming to my house!" I melt every time!
ReplyDelete