We had such a wonderful time at the beach this year! Blakely was at a great age to be there....able to enjoy everything but not yet mobile. Although she really wants to be...dear God.
We left Saturday morning at 530. In our car it was me, Lonnie, my mom, and Blakely. In the other car it was Grand, Jenni (my aunt), Casey (family friend although more like just family), and my great aunt Jerry. My cousin Jan lives in Colorado and she meets us down there. It took us 12 hours to get down there. Blakely did well the entire way. My mom was in the back with her so she was able to keep her entertained. We only stopped 3 times total. But those stops each lasted about an hour. With 7 adults and a baby it just takes forever to do anything. By the time we got there we were all ready to get the heck out of the car. We dropped Grand, my mom, Blakely, and Aunt Jerry off at the condo and the rest of us went to the grocery and liquor store for the week. We always hate doing that but it helps to just get it over with.
This was just one of the carts :)
We were all exhausted from the trip so it was early to bed. We had two condos each with two bedrooms. It was me, Lonnie, Blakely, Grand, and my mom in one. And the rest were in the other.
The next morning we got up leisurely and drank our coffee/cokes and ate our traditional cheese toast topped with fresh tomatoes. It was so yummy and even Lonnie liked it! Then we got all ready for the beach. I got Blakely naked and lathered her up in sunscreen. And then I did it again. She was a gooey gooey mess. She didn't mind it though. She actually giggled while I was putting it on her. A friend of mine suggested getting a baby swimming pool and putting that under the shade with all of her toys. That turned out to be such a great idea! She could just sit there and play without getting sand everywhere. If I had just put her on a towel it would have been a huge mess and I wouldn't have been able to take my eye off of her for a single second. Of course, there were times that I did let her play in the sand. Just not sitting in it constantly.
Blakely with her grand cousin Jan and then with daddy.
Toes in the water....ass in the sand....
The first night (Sunday) we always go to dinner at Staff's. Blakely wore the dress that I MADE HER. You read that correctly...I made her dress. Kinda wish I had a better picture of her in it!
The next morning everyone got up and did the cheese toast/coffee/cokes thing. And when I say everyone, I mean everyone but me because, apparently, I consumed a wee to much alcohol the night before. So daddy was on baby duty while mommy recovered. After that it was pretty much a lazy day in the condo. We just played on the balcony and took naps all day. That night we did go to eat at a place called Louisiana Lagniappe. This place has the best shrimp and grits ever.
The next day we decided to take Blake to the pool. This was her first time ever in a pool. It was a little chilly at first so I had to ease her in so she wouldn't cry. I held her for a bit and then I sat her on the ledge of the pool. She loved it!
Then I put her in her little boat and she REALLY loved it! She kicked her little legs constantly. It was adorable :)
We finally got out of the pool and we were both all wrinkled up. We sat out by the pool and played for a little bit before it was time for her nap.
The next day we went to the beach in the morning but then it looked like it was going to rain so we went back up to the condo for the afternoon. We played games and Blakely just sat and watched and entertained us. She loved the UNO cards and helping mommy play :)
That night we went to a restaurant called Captain Dave's in Destin. It was super yum!
Beach again the next day. She played in her little pool for a while but she really just wanted to be climbing all over daddy.
redo solo cup of course....
For being so out of her element Blakely did well. She didn't really want to nap in the pack n play though. Naps were a struggle unless I nursed her and then laid down with her for a little bit. I think she felt like she was going to miss something. This day she didn't nap at all. I knew if she didn't nap before we went to dinner it would not be pleasant. So I nursed her right before we left and she fell asleep. SOUND asleep.
I thought she would sleep through dinner for sure but she only slept for 30 minutes! This was the only time she was cranky. And since she didn't nap well that day she didn't sleep good that night. Up at 2,4,and 6.... I was tired! Oh well...we got to sleep in at least! And, daddy made us breakfast! You know you married a great man when he goes on vacation with 7 women and a baby and also cooks you breakfast on said vacation!
That evening Lonnie and I decided that we wanted to take Blakely for a walk on the beach instead of going to dinner with everyone else. We strapped her into her daddymobile and off we went. We walked a LONG way and stopped to eat some dinner. It was great family time.
This is what it looked like on our way back. BEAUTIFUL!
The last day we did more beach!
Look MOM! I stood up!
This was the view from our balcony.
The last night Lonnie took some pictures of us before dinner. Here we all are!
Four generations :)
I have to say though, I am happy to be back in our normal routine. Even on vacation, mama doesn't get "vacation" ;)
























I'm so glad you guys had a good time! And I love the pics of B in the pool!!
ReplyDeleteIt looks like you guys had a great time! I LOVE the pink tub thing Blakely was floating in with the cover on top. Where did you get it? I've been looking for one and can't seem to find one I like. So glad you guys got to spend some family time!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds as if you had a lovely time at the beach! I love all of Blakely's adorable beach outfits!! So cute! :) I am sure you will have lots more great trips to the beach with her over the years to come.
ReplyDeleteWow, we had such similar experiences!
ReplyDeleteShe is adorable! Great idea about the baby pool!
How did you get hr to keep her sunglases on?
I love all her outfits!
Do another post with her dress! It looks adorable!
And mmmmm you just made me hungry, I love shrimp and grits!
I love all the pictures and it sounds like you had a wonderful time! I especially love the picture of you two where she's sleeping. She was definitely a stylish beach bunny!
ReplyDeleteHow fun! Her little sunglasses are adorable. I can't believe she does so well in the car. That's really awesome.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great recap post!!! We are doing the week at the beach in August so I'm definitely going to need you for pointers. I'm already loving the baby pool idea!
ReplyDeleteGreat post, especially since we are heading to the beach in three weeks with a (then) six month old. I hope H does as well as Blakely! She looks like she is gonna be a beach-lovin kind of girl, and stylish too:]
ReplyDelete