After talking with Lonnie, we decided to go ahead with IVF #4 to expand our family. We did not see any reason to wait a few months. I mean...what would we be waiting for? January and February are pretty slow months for us so it just makes sense. We have vacations already planned for April and May so we don't want to wait until then and have to worry about that.
We had an appointment on Tuesday to discuss things with the doctor. I thought it was not necessary but I am actually glad they made us come in for a consult.
We talked to Dr. M about some medication changes. I wanted to do the same thing we did for our third IVF that was successful. On that cycle I took Follistim and Luveris together and I had not done that previously...just the Follistim. He said that they do not make Luveris anymore so I would need to take Menopur, which I have heard of through blogs but have never taken. Menopur is made to be taken with Bravelle, another med that I have never taken. So I can either take Follistim & Menopur (not made to be mixed together so it would mean another shot), or Bravelle & Menopur (made to be mixed together so only one shot).
The reason I didn't take Bravelle and Menopur the first three IVF's is because I had insurance coverage and they only paid for Follistim. I have since met my lifetime infertility max on my insurance so nothing is covered for this cycle. Wonderful. I do realize how lucky we were to have any coverage at all so I am trying not to be frustrated with that. But writing that very large check was hard....but will be so worth it I know.
He basically left it up to us as to which meds to take. He said they use the Bravelle and Menopur combo with most of their IVF's because it is cheaper but, in his experience, there is no difference in ovarian response between the two medications. I am not sure how to decide this. I just want to respond well and have plenty of eggs. I responded well with the Folli so I am a bit nervous to try something new. But if this is what they use most of the time and have success then why not use that and save a few bucks? I just don't know... If any of you have taken both of these medications, could you tell a difference? Did you have a different response?
So the plan is this...
I will call them when I start my period. I am on day 18 of my cycle right now. I will go in for labs on day 3. Since I haven't had day 3 labs since 2010 they want to just check my hormones and make sure I will respond to the meds in a similar fashion. As long as that looks good I will start birth control pills on day 5. The IVF nurse will send me a calendar and get my meds ordered that day. I have to decide on what medication (Follistim vs. Bravelle) by then. I guess I will do some research and have Lonnie do the same. I'm just not sure how to decide.
I am excited and totally nervous at the same time. I feel like a seasoned IVF veteran. I know what to expect so I do think that helps me. I know what to expect so I think that stresses me as well! I'm definitely not looking forward to that huge bloated feeling or getting a needle shoved through my vagina multiple times. Ouch. But I will do whatever it takes. I can do this and I will do this. I am excited and hopeful that this can work.
We are not keeping this as much of a secret as we did with the FET. I mean we aren't shouting it from the rooftops (or blasting it on FB or Ins.tagram) but some family members and some friends will know. I have to have help with B while going through all of this since there are so many appointments involved.
There ya go. IVF #4 will be underway in about 10-14 days.
My hope for this cycle is this. I hope that I respond well to the medication and they are able to retrieve many eggs. (I have had 14,14, and 19 eggs retrieved before). I hope they are able to make healthy embryos. I hope this is the cycle that I get pregnant with Blakely's sibling. I hope getting someone to watch Blakely through all of this is easy. I hope that Lonnie getting off of work for the necessary appointments is easy. I hope I am able to stay calm and not get too stressed out about any one little thing. I hope I stay sane and stay nice to my husband.
I just hope this works!
Just wanted to let you know that I used Follistim and Menopur together and it worked great! So great in fact that we now have our twins and 6 frozen embryos! :-) So good luck and I'll say some prayers for you.
ReplyDeleteThinking of you guys and so excited that you have a plan in place! I know how expensive IVF can be and yes, you are lucky you have coverage, but it doesn't make paying for it out of pocket any easier. Paying to have a baby just pain sucks. Keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly, your labs are perfect, and those eggs respond to the meds!!
ReplyDeleteKelly, I am going to pray for you daily. I wish I had some advice on meds, but all I have are prayers.
ReplyDeleteI will be praying for you this month. I hope that everything goes well for you and you are able to keep your stress level as low as possible. It is so much easier to say than do! You sound like you have a great plan so far.
ReplyDeleteI am so excited for you guys! I know it's so scary, but I think it's great that you are ready and are jumping in. I pray that you have a very successful cycle!
ReplyDeleteWow, this is so exciting! Good for you all to go for what you know you want.
ReplyDeleteI really hope this one works for you as well! Hopefully you will get all of your wishes and dare I say some frosties??? That would just be icing on the cake!
Good luck!
I am so excited for you, Lonnie and Blakely!! :) I am sure it feels good to have a plan in place... and starting soon instead of having to stress over it for months. I will be thinking of you throughout the month and really truly hope it goes well and you will be expecting a little one 9 months from now!!
ReplyDeleteI hope for all your hopes to come true. I can't even begin to say I know what you're going through, but I believe that good things will come your way. You and Lonnie are amazing parents. :)
ReplyDeleteI so hope it works too! I will be rooting for you all the way!
ReplyDeleteEek, here you go!! I don't have any advice on the meds, I'd just say go with what your gut is telling you (or what your research findings tell you). I have a great feeling Blakely will get a sibling out of this! :)
ReplyDeleteYAY, YAY, YAY for baby number 2 in the works. I'm praying that it works out wonderfully for you guys!
ReplyDelete