IVF is hard. I mean for real. I forgot just how hard it was and this time I have a toddler. Hard. The hardest thing is how I feel. I can figure out someone to take care of Blakely at the very last minute when I have appointments. I can inject myself 4 times per night. But these damn emotions. They get me.
This post will probably be all over the place because that is just how I feel right now.
I was really feeling good about this whole thing. I mean we have Blakely....that is what matters. I thought I could focus on that. I can't really explain how all of these hormones make me feel. It is like every single thing in my head is the biggest deal. Every thing is so important even though, rationally, I know it isn't. For example, I dropped a can of salsa this morning. Normally I would just clean it up...no big deal. Well I burst into tears because why do I have to drop the fucking salsa? Another example. I forgot to turn the dryer on last night. So now I have to re-wash all of those clothes. I do this a lot...no big deal. I got so frustrated this morning. I was throwing the clothes back in the washer and near tears of frustration. See? I know these are stupid things to get worked up over but I get worked up anyway. I don't have any control over it.
Then there are the big things that actually do matter.
Yesterday I had my first ultrasound since starting the stimulation meds. I had been taking them every night for 5 nights. Well I watched the ultrasound and I thought it looked okay. Not the best ever but okay. I had about 11 follicles that he measured and a few more smaller ones. After he was finished he took me into his office to talk about how it looked and where we go from here. The usual. He started comparing it to my last IVF (#3...the one that worked..obvs). I am not responding to the meds as well as I did last time. He said we need more follicles and my estrogen needs to go up higher. Ok. Fine. Let's add more meds. Then he said he would call me after they got my labs back and he would either up my dose or CANCEL THE WHOLE THING.
I froze. He had to be kidding. But he wasn't. I couldn't even ask him any questions for fear of crying all over his desk. I just got the heck out of there. I got to my car and proceeded to cry the entire way home. An hour drive. I called Lonnie and I'm not sure I even made any sense on the phone. He kept telling me it was going to be ok. He kept saying if this IVF got cancelled then we would just try again. I know he was trying to make me feel better but I don't want to try again. I want this one to work. I am tired of this shit. I just want to have our babies and move on from this IVF chapter of our lives. We have been bogged down by infertility for so damn long. It is exhausting. I just wish sex made a baby for us. Is that so much to ask?
They called me late in the afternoon and said that my estrogen had gone up but it was still a little low. He decided to up my medication for 2 days and see me back on Saturday. I am really hoping for a good report tomorrow. Bigger follicles, more follicles, and higher estrogen. Please.
So yeah. It is a roller coaster. I knew it was but I forgot just how severe these emotions can be. By last night I was happy and feeling good about the whole thing again.
The doctor that I saw yesterday has made me cry before. He is great and probably my favorite but he always prepares you for the worst case scenario. I hate that. On our first IVF after our first ultrasound he told me that I would probably only get 5 eggs and maybe no embryos. I cried the whole way home...it was tragic (in my head anyway). Well it turns out that by the next ultrasound 2 days later my body had kicked into gear and I had plenty of follicles. I ended up with 14 eggs at retrieval. I am hoping he is just telling me worst case scenario this time and it will all work out fine in the end. At least that is what I am clinging to at this moment.
I just wanted this time to be a little easier. It took 3 years to finally get pregnant with Blakely. Three really hard years. Countless timed cycles, too many ovulation tests to count, a million medical tests for both of us, more injections than either of us can remember, 4 IUI's, 3 IVF's, a shit ton of money, and a whole lot of depression. But it was all worth it. I would do it all again because she is the best thing that ever happened to us. I need to keep reminding myself of that instead of having this ridiculous pity party.
Bless your heart Kelly! I hate that you are going through all this. I vividly remember the crazy hormones from my IVF cycle and you are right, everything becomes a big deal. As hard as it is right now, just trust that God has a plan for your sweet family and he will never give you more than you can handle. Stay strong girl!
ReplyDeleteYou have me all emotional right now, lady. Blogging has brought me so close to many of you wonderful ladies in the PAIL community and it absolutely breaks my heart to know what you go through to get these beautiful kids. I honestly had tinges of guilt announcing our #2 b/c I know people (like you) are going through SO MUCH MORE than I can possibly imagine. It's not fair. It really isn't. Stay strong, keep fighting the good fight. Because if it could be possible for another babe like Blakely to be brought in the world, it is so worth fighting for.
ReplyDeleteDon't be hard on yourself for getting emotional, you have every right to be. We all hope it will be easier the second time around because we do have our wonderful kiddos to distract us, but I think we quickly realize how fast we fall back into that ugly place again. I can't speak from experience with IVF, but even thinking about TTC #2 brought out some ugly things in me I wish it didn't. I am hoping and crossing everything that your appointment on Saturday brings your numbers up to where they need to be, that you can move forward with this cycle, and that you will be successful! I know how badly you want to be able to close this chapter in your life. HUGS!
ReplyDeleteOh Kelly I am so sorry things aren't going well. Try thebest you can to not bee too hard on yourself. I am sure this is adding so much more stress to your daily life. Hopefully Lonnie is understanding with your moods & knows that you can't help it. It will work again and it will be worth it. You are such a great Mommy!
ReplyDeleteYou are totally allowed to have a pity party. It isn't supposed to be this hard to have babies. You should have an easy wonderful life because you are a good person. You should be able to have another baby, because you are a good mom and have a great husband. Sadly that isn't how it goes for some people.
ReplyDeleteI really hope that this is your cycle. That this is your 2nd(last?) baby. I hope that you get to complete your family the way you want to.
Maybe a year from now you will be crying over split salsa, but because of hormones from birth rather than IVF.
Oh hun, it is hard. So so so very hard. Right now, I cannot even fathom going through it with a baby/toddler at the same time. You are very brave to put yourself through it again to I expand your family and give B a sibling, and everything you are feeling right now is totally normal and understandable. I'm sending lots of heroine thoughts to those follicles!
ReplyDeleteSo hard! I can't even imagine going through IVF again with a little one. Hang in there, momma, you're strong!
ReplyDeleteYou are totally allowed to have a pity party. IVF is hard! Every moment of it sucks (up until of course you find out your pregnant). Hang in there. You are doing great! And it is awesome Blakely is a constant reminder of the prize at the end.
ReplyDeleteOh I wish I could say something to make you feel better! I'm here for you. I feel frustration for you, I'm sad right with you. You're right, nothing about this is fair. Shitty parents can reproduce like rabbits, why can't the good ones have it easier?!
ReplyDeleteHope you get good news!
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry that you are feeling this way and hate so much that IF does this to us. It really shouldn't be this hard and it sucks that it is for some. I wish it wasn't for you right now. I really hope the next appointment brings you some better news. Enjoy sweet B in the meantime and I really hope you get your happy results very very soon.
ReplyDeleteJust read this and I seriously cried through this post. I'm not sure if it's preggo hormones or what, but you DESERVE this. If there is anyone who does, it's you. You have been through so much to get B, I hate that you have to go through it again. I am wishing, hoping, praying and keeping my fingers crossed that you get lots of follicles and that this is THE month! I know how depressing going through this gets, and the side effects from the hormones don't help either. Stay positive, you are going to be a mommy again and B WILL be a big sister. I just know it!!! Can't wait to here how Tuesday goes! EEEKKK!!
ReplyDelete