Friday, June 24, 2011

Mosaic

A few years ago me, my  mom, and my Grand started doing mosaics.  There is a place here in town where you can go and she has all of the tools.  She also has a bunch of glass, tile, plates, old mirrors, etc that you can use.  You just pay depending on the size of the object (window, piece of wood, mailbox, tabletop, etc) you are going to mosaic.  


After we started doing it my friends started going as well.  Once you pay you can go back as many times as you like to finish up your project.  We haven't been in about a year.  I haven't been because last year was a pretty rough year for me and I was not very social.  But we have all been talking about getting back into it and starting a new project.  I figured I would do something for baby girls room.  So me and my friend Sarah went this morning.  I can't stop thinking about mosaicing!  I am back to being addicted :)


I bought 2 picture frames that I am going to put her newborn pictures in and hang on her wall.  When I finish them in a week or so I will post pictures for you.  In the meantime I thought I would show you some of the stuff that I have done.  


This is the first one that I did.  We use it to hang our keys on when we walk in the door.  

This is the second one that I did.  I wanted something to put in our bar and a martini glass seemed perfect!  This was in the beginning...I outlined the glass and the whole board in cut up mirrors.  Then I got some metallic foil and glued it where the martini glass was.  

Then I glued bluish tempered glass to make the glass.  I used green and red glass for the olives and then black glass for the background.  

Instead of just randomly putting the black glass on the background I made a design...just to give it some depth.  

This is with all of the glass glued on but without the grout.  

And here is the finished product....hanging in my bar!  I love it!

This is one that my mom did on an old mirror.  I don't have a picture of the final product but you get the idea. It hangs in her house on her sliding glass door and the sun shines through it every day.  So pretty!

The last two sections she did in red....

This is a mirror that I did for my guest bathroom upstairs.  I just got a large board, glued a mirror to it and then did all the mosaicing.  


Final product!

My friend, Sarah, did this one for her classroom.  She is a second grade teacher and the schools mascot is the wolves.  This one is amazing!

I love doing this.  It is so relaxing.  I can't wait to show y'all the picture frames I am making for baby girl!







5 comments:

  1. How fun! I got into stained glass for a while several years ago and enjoyed it too. I've never tried mosaics though. Your projects look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like SO much fun! I have never heard of a place for doing that. I used to work at a paint-your-own pottery studio and was totally addicted to painting for a while, so I can imagine how addicting this would be too. Can't wait to see what you come up with for the baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!!! I would totally be addicted to that! How cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, how awesome that you have a place to go to do those! Simply gorgeous. I LOVE the martini glass. You are very talented! I cannot wait to see the frames :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of a place like that, those are awesome!

    ReplyDelete