Thursday, February 7, 2013

Cloth Diapering- the day to day details

In this post, I want to talk about how I actually use, store, and clean my cloth diapers.  Also, what accessories I have and how I have my house set up for cloth.  *There is quite a bit of poop talk ahead!*

I bought a metal trash can from Walm.art that has a pedal you push to pop the lid up.  I had 2  Planetw.ise diaper pail liners to go in the trash can.  I keep this right beside the changing table in her room.  When she was only on breast milk (so up until about 6 months of age) this was all I had for my diapers.  I always changed her in her room and I threw the dirty diaper in the pail.  Breast milk poop doesn't have to be rinsed because it is water soluble.  So the diaper went straight from the baby into the pail.  I did buy some Bumgenius odor remover spray.  I would spray a few squirts onto a poopy diaper and then it went straight into the pail.  I don't really know if the spray helped or not.  I only used it for a few months and then I stopped.  I've never had any issues.  This stage was very easy.  

When Blakely was 6 months to about 8 months, I had to start spraying her poop diapers off because she was eating solid foods and her poop was changing.  I bought a Bumgenius diaper sprayer and had the husband attach it to the toilet in the bathroom closest to her room.    I would still change her diaper in her room.  If it was poopy then I would set it to the side and finish getting her dressed.  Then I would carry B and the dirty into the bathroom.  I put her on the floor and let her play...I actually kept a few small toys in the bathroom just for this reason. The girl loves to play in a bathroom, always has.  Anyway, then I would spray the diaper off.  I realized quickly that carrying the water soaked diaper back into her room where the pail was just wasn't working out.  I bought 2 more diaper pail liners and started keeping one on the floor in the bathroom.  That way I could just toss the diaper into it without a mess.  I didn't get a trash can for this one because I didn't feel like it was needed.  Keeping the bag on the floor worked just fine.  

At about 8 months, B's poop changed again.  It was no longer mushy.  We had little turds.  YES!  This makes life super easy because you can just plop them into the toilet.  No mess at all.  I still keep the trash can with the diaper pail liner in her room as this is the main place for changes.   I also still keep a pail liner on the floor in the bathroom downstairs just in case I need to spray a diaper.  It is pretty rare that I have to do that...I'd say once every two weeks or so?  Now that she is older I can just do quick changes upstairs (without the risk of her peeing on the couch).  I realized I didn't want to walk downstairs just to put the dirty diaper up so I bought a tiny metal trash can from Walm.art to keep in the laundry room upstairs.  I don't put a pail liner in it because the diapers are dirty but they aren't messy.  When it is time to do laundry I just dump the dipes into the washer and wipe the trash can down with a clorox wipe.  

**I do always take the inserts out of my pocket diapers when I take them off of B.  That way I don't have to do that on day old diapers.  I can just dump the bag into the machine.**

I have always washed my diapers every other day.  I do go to a third day sometimes now that B is older and not going through as many diapers.  I have a regular old top loader...nothing fancy at all.  I use Roc.kin' Green detergent.  I dump all of the diapers and the pail liners in the washing machine.  I run a cold rinse.  If there were a lot of poop diapers or if I am washing on the third day (so more diapers than usual) I run a warm rinse after my cold rinse. Then I do a hot wash with 2 heaping tablespoons of detergent followed by a cold rinse.  Once that is finished I run one more cold rinse.  I am sure on a fancier machine I could program this all in and not have to go back in and turn the washer on but, like I said, OLD top loader :)  

When the washing is finished I toss all of the inserts into the dryer (NO fabric softener) on hot for about 30-40 minutes.  

During the winter, or if it isn't sunny out, I put the AIO's and the pocket shells on my drying rack in the laundry room.  I do occasionally put everything in the dryer.  Most people say that is a big no no but I have had no problems.  Sometimes I just want to get it all done and put away...the dryer speeds things up a little bit.  If I have the pocket shells and the AIO's in the dryer then I put it on low for 40-50 minutes.  

If it is sunny out then I put everything (inserts, pocket shells, and AIO's) on the drying rack and take that outside.  The sun is a great bleaching agent and the diapers also dry much faster outside.  The only time I have ever seen a stain on a diaper was back when B was exclusively breastfed.  A couple of times I noticed a small stain when taking a diaper out of the washer.  I had read that the sun would bleach it right out.  I did not believe this.  Well what do ya know?  It totally works.  I was shocked.  After sunning the diapers and inserts they are so bright white!  The inserts can feel a little "crunchy" after drying in the sun so I usually throw only those in the dryer for a few minutes just to soften them up.  

So how do I store all of these diapers?  I keep them all in the bottom drawer of B's dresser.  Now that she is older and I change her upstairs during the day, I keep a few in the laundry room just for ease.  Here is a pic of the "changing station" in her room. 

I still use the diaper ge.nie for our disposable wipes.  I have yet to convince my husband to use cloth wipes.  I keep saying I am just going to do it and he will adjust.  

Wipes, coconut oil (I slather it on her booty a couple of times a day), hand sanitizer, and clo.rox wipes!

A look into the drawer.  Diapers all across the front.  On the back row, from the left, I have wipes (as soon as I convince the husband), extra inserts, and the extra pail liners and wetbags.  

I hope that helps anyone wanting to know what the day to day use of cloth looks like.  It really is easy once you get into a routine.  Isn't everything about routine?  Next time I'll talk about cloth diapering on the go! 

12 comments:

  1. Bet you knew you were gonna get a long comment/question from me!! Thanks for writing this by the way.

    You hit on one of the things I've noticed - how awkward it is to set a dirty diaper off to the side, finish with Chloe, take it to the bathroom, then back to her room. I think the idea of another bag in the bathroom makes perfect sense.

    We are only about 10 days in and already some of the diapers are stained. And we've even used flushable liners on most of them! Is that normal? Not bad stains, but definitely noticeable. It hasn't been warm enough to put outside and let the sun do its trick, but I was surprised by the staining already.

    Chloe started in with a diaper rash again. :( I was really bummed. We have continued to use the CD though I know JJ occasionally puts a disposable on her during the day, and she still gets them at night. We are putting coconut oil on her. I don't know what her reaction is to though...thinking I might do away with the flushable wipes and try flannel ones? I'm afraid without anything, JJ will totally boycott CD. Ok, I think that's it...but I might be back if I think of others. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think you'll find the sun will bleach all those little stains out! We don't have a dryer so we only hang and the sun does magically things, I promise you. Also, we don't have hot water here so ours often have stains coming out and still, sun takes care of all of them. I really need to do a post like this soon!! :)

      Delete
  2. I still wish cloth would've worked for us! And, coconut oil....tell me more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is bomb...and it smells so good! B has a coconut butt :)

      Delete
  3. I still can't get over how magical the sun is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very skeptical. Now I am a total believer!

      Delete
  4. Again, totally read the crap (ha, crap) out of this post even though we don't cloth dipe. And again, I love that you do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really wanted (and want to with the next one) CD - but my husband is dead set against it - he is disgusted that we would be washing poopy diapers in the washer "that we wash our clothes in!" Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to make my husband do a post on cloth diapers which you can share with your hubby (and any other skeptical Daddys), because he is totally into it! :)

      Delete
  6. Great post Kelly! I wasn't sure what to do with my wipes so I thought I would keep the normal diaper genie for those. I hung all my diapers and inserts up last night in my washroom and they were all this this morning but the Thurstie AIO. Thanks for your help last night. Do you use the coconut oil all the time? Shane hasn't ever had a rash. Maybe I should grab some to keep on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post!! Loved reading about the routines and procedures of another clothy mama! :) I am going to try to do a post soon as we do many things similarly but others differently due to what we have and don't have down here. I want a sprayer!!! Although Alidia's poops are finally starting to become easier to just shake off in the toilet. But I do need a bag in the bathroom because I am always carrying poopy diapers from one place to another! Uggg.

    Thanks for sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete