Tuesday, July 9, 2013

I am going to tell you a story. Part 2

This is part 2 of my story about our fifth IVF.  

I left off yesterday with me having started the ovarian stimulation medications.  Once again, I am going to be very detailed about this process because I know I have some readers who are not familiar with IVF.  

After being on the stimulation hormones for 3 days I went in for lab work.  During this process your estrogen levels are monitored through lab work and your eggs/follicles are monitored via ultrasound multiple times.  They do this to see if they need to increase or decrease your medication and to see when your eggs are ready to be retrieved.  

This first monitoring appointment was just lab work so I was able to take Blakely with me.  She was an absolute angel doll sitting with me while I had blood drawn.  She was so sweet to the nurses and secretaries and really kept them laughing the whole time.  That girl loves to entertain.  I may be in trouble with her "I love being the center of attention" act.  

That day was Lonnie and I's 8 year anniversary of our first date.  I would be lying if I didn't hope that was a sign of good things to come.  There were other "signs" as well.  I started my first injection of lup.ron on the day Blakely turned 20 months old.  Once we got this process started I realized that if I did get pregnant I would be due in March.  And close to my birthday. I have always ALWAYS wanted to have a baby in March.  I just thought it was a great time of year to have a birthday.  When Lonnie and I first decided to try for a baby we started trying i June with the hopes of having a baby in March (naive and stupid).  It just seemed like things may be lining up perfectly for us this cycle.  I tried to ignore these signs but, like I said, LYING if I didn't have hope about it.  

After my lab work was done I came home and waited for the phone call to tell me what to do next.  The nurse finally called at 5:00.  Just another stressor in this process.  I have to sit around and wait by my phone all day in order to know what meds to take that night and when to come back to the clinic.  I don't get great cell service at my house so I literally put my phone in one spot where I know it will reliably ring.  And then I wait.  Anyway, the nurse finally calls.  

She tells me that my estrogen is 75.  Then she says that I might have a cyst because they want my estrogen to be below 25.  She wants me to come back for repeat lab before we start the stimulations meds and if it is still up then we will have to postpone the cycle.  To someone who hasn't done this before that might sound reasonable and they would have just done what she said.  But I am a veteran and I knew that wasn't right.  I HAD ALREADY STARTED THE STIMULATION MEDS.  

When you have the lab work to make sure your ovaries are suppressed your estrogen needs to be lower than 25.  Once you begin the stimulation meds (which I had done 3 days prior!) they want your estrogen to go up.  That is what helps to produce the eggs!  I told her that I was confused and that I HAD ALREADY STARTED THE MEDS.  She sounded confused and put me on hold.  She came back and said that I was right and told me what the doctor wanted me to do.  Keep my Follistim the same (375), double the Menopur (up to 150) and come back in three days (on Friday the 28th).  

When I got off the phone I was in a bit of shock.  I am glad I was on top of it and said something.  But that just added to my stress unnecessarily.  Talking about signs, maybe I should have read that as a sign of things to come.  

I will continue tomorrow.  Thanks for reading.  

Part one

Part three
Part four

5 comments:

  1. Oh girl - I hate that you are dealing with this. HATE. I'm so sorry. So sorry.

    I think it is wonderful that you are documenting it. It is important in the healing process and for something for sweet B to read when she gets older.

    She will see what you and her daddy went through to have her and to try to get her a sibling. And she is going to love you even more than possible because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How could the nurse not have known what part of this you were at? I understand that she prob has to call many people with results but doesn't see read your chart a little before she calls? That would have really upset me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a frustrating bump in the road. Good thing you know what you are talking about! I'm sad you have to this story, i wish it had a happy ending. But it is a good way to move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, that would have definitely added much extra stress having the nurse not know what was going on. Good thing you did though and spoke up. So wish this story had a happy ending :( Again, I am so so sorry you had to go through this and are still dealing it. I was really hoping for a BFP leading to a March baby too as I agree, I always thought it would be a good month. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so, so, sorry that you're dealing with this. I wish so much that there was a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete